It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

Post subject: Latency?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:27 pm 
Hi Rapael,

I finally got a series of input adaptors that make it possible for me to plug in a real mic and output to a real speaker system- working great for what I am hoping to do!

My question is surrounding latency. I know you've probably done your best to keep the latency down, but I noticed that as I get a faster metronome tempo, my ability to record something in time with the music gets harder and harder. Some of it probably my own timing inabilities, but wondering if you've calculated the latency perhaps on a 3gs so we know what we can feasibly handle with the program before the app becomes the impediment.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Latency?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:55 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi dhaupert !

You are right, there is latency. If you use quantized recording, so not considering the touch latency, there is around 10 to 20 ms of audio latency.

I think I can do better than this, it can be improved ^^.

Great that you achieve your goal regarding input/ouput, I know that's a tricky part :D .

Cheers !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:52 am 
Thanks for your fast response. I'm glad to hear it's not just me being bad with my ears/timing!

I remember back in my days using audio plugins that a great goal for latency to feel like there was none was 8ms. If you can get it under 8ms, you're probably golden!

Good luck in optimizing- one suggestion may be to have an option to not show the wave form in real time as it's recording- I'm sure that graphing can be slowing things down considerably!

This is really a phenomenal program. I hope that Ed's successful viral video gave you a huge boost in sales to justify continuing to develop this program!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm 
Hi Rapael,

first, if you like the every day looper, I recomend you to write a review at the app store.
There is only two review in this moment, and one of them is very bad.

Second, can you pleas let me know what kind of adaptors are you using to conect to a speakers and microphone at the same time?

Thank you and I wish you the best day ever!

Avi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Avi !

Here is a topic speaking about microphone input : http://www.mancingdolecules.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49&start=0 .

For speakers, you can simply use your iDevice jack output and plug it in whatever outputs sound ^^.

Thanks for your wish :mrgreen: .

Raphaël

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:10 pm 
Hi Rapael,

Thanks for your reply.

I was readind the post on your link, and also the other posts in the link there at the end.
I'm using iPhone 2G on 3.0.

Do you have any advice? I tried the output from the dock to the speaker, and it worked fine, but I can't conect my head set headphone as a microphone.

Thanks, Avi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:21 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Audio routing in the iPhone OS is a bit tricky. The rule that it seems to follow is "last plugged is used".

If you want versatility in your input choice, I would recommend the Alesis ProTrack (good integrated mics + XLR/Jack inputs). Don't forget that you have to use the iPhone jack for outputting sound. It's a bit expensive however.

If you want a simple good electret mic, while maintaining the ability to connect your iPhone to external speakers, I would recommend the philips SHH1610 (simple mic + heaphone jack output).

I own a iPhone 2G too and the 2 mentioned accessories. So it's my actual setup, and it works great :) !