It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm

Post subject: RC20 style action ;)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:12 pm 
Hi,

First of all I would like to say this is one of truly useful apps I've used on my iphone.

The interface is really elegant and the controls really intuitive.

At the moment I am borrowing someone's RC20xl for a show with the view to eventually buy my own.

HOWEVER I am seriously considering using this looper for ym next gig on the 25th February instead of the RC20.

There is just ONE feature that I would love to see to completely replace the RC20...and that is the punch-in style overdubbing and independent loop lengths.

If you could bring this kind of RC20 style overdubbing it would be great.

Actually the current track merge facility is amazing so all I really ask for is the ability to 'punch in' when recording on another track

Post subject: Re: RC20 style action ;)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi d0us !

I'm glad that you enjoy Everyday Looper :D !

Overdubbing is planned (mid-term) and independent loop lengths too (long-term), but I'm not really sure to understand what you mean by "punch-in".

There is a "Quantize To Loop" option in the Recording section of the Options menu page. Which in my mind is quite similar to a punch in, but fixed to the loop length. Would you need more flexibility on the punch in start time for it to be useful to you ? Or do you expect something totally different ?

I'm curious too :mrgreen: : What kind of music do you make, with which kind of instruments ? Do you have a myspace or something like that ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:03 pm 
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Looking forward to your updates of such a brilliant program.

I've only been playing with this so didn't get around all of the features...but yes syncing to clip kinda works. I got confused as sampling starts at the beginning of the loop but actually only records what I play so it does work like the RC20!

I'm using linein direct from a mixer which has an Atari ST and a tape recorder connected. I use the 'send' jack to send it to the looper and then bring the looper output back into the mixer.

Here are two of my projects:

http://myspace.com/d0us
http://myspace.com/jahizband

I use loops mostly for the second project

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:04 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Deep atmospheres in what you do d0us, really like Hope, but I suppose you work mainly through improvisation.

Do you have already figured out how to plug the i[Phone/Pod] to your mixer send ? Basically mic or dock input ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:02 pm 
Thanks for the comment!

Yes for that project it is all improv but for d0us (my chiptune) one it's all prearranged on a tracker that I mix on the fly with the looper.

I've been using a camcorder cable to get direct in via the headphone input.

However there are a few little probs using this method: if the level is too high the the whole thing distorts and cuts out into a buzzing noise.....I thought I blew the mic!!! But I upgraded my fimrware and it went back to normal!

The other problem is that the ipod is randomly is turned on mid-loop! I do hear a click like a mic has been connected and the ipod music comes on crashing everyday looper.

I have checked the connections and I can't explain the click so maybe it's a problem with the connector inside the iphone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:28 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
d0us wrote:
The other problem is that the ipod is randomly is turned on mid-loop! I do hear a click like a mic has been connected and the ipod music comes on crashing everyday looper.

I have checked the connections and I can't explain the click so maybe it's a problem with the connector inside the iphone

That's in fact a problem linked to the load/impedance that the iPhone expect to detect that a microphone is present on it's jack input. Here are some good infos : http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/iphone-headset-input-options/ .

Even if they don't tell anything about iPod launching randomly, I remember reading such a problem about a guy trying to connect it's guitar directly through this same input. Can't remember where however ...

The explanation is quite simple. On Apple headsets, there is a little button for doing basic tasks, such as launching the iPod, going to the next song, ... And the way it works is buy short cutting the microphone, the iPhone detects that the load/impedance is gone and then launch the iPod (for a one click action).

So if you have a load/impedance that's not high enough or vary, it will be interpreted by the iPhone as a "launch iPod" action.

What I would recommend is adding a small resistor in parallel with the input, as advocated by FaberAcoustical.

All of this is "out of the box" deduction, so it's not 100% sure science, but some people seems to have good results that way.

Tell us if you manage to get some result :) !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:45 pm 
Thanks for this...

I may need to do that as it happens very randomly.

I will check out the thread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 pm 
I'm not a techie at all...how would the transistor be attched? just on the cable?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:58 pm 
oops I meant resister...

:oops:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:04 pm 
Oh I think I may have a solution.

If I plug in my atari into a guitar pedal and then output should have a high impedance for the iphone input maybe?