It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

Post subject: Input level slider - feature request.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 pm 
Hi.
I love the app. I don't need Boss loopstation and Kaossilator Pro anymore!

I was useing it on iPod Touch 2g and now I moved to iPod Touch 4g.
The problem is - the new iPod got different input level than old one.
I have to turn down input volume (it has to be twice more quiet) to prevent weird clipping (or maybe its some kind of gating limiter, dunno).
Now the recorded and normalised tracks are too loud and I would love to have input volume slider in settings to compensate that...

I could post audio examples or a movie to show this difference.
I still got my 2g so I can easly compare.
Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Input level slider - feature request.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:47 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi lpd !

Glad you love the looper :) .

Regarding your problem, which input do you use ? Integrated mic, iRig/AmpKit/..., dock device, ... ? And to record what type of instument ? So the 4G clips at levels that was perfectly fine with the 2G ?

Quote:
Now the recorded and normalised tracks are too loud and I would love to have input volume slider in settings to compensate that...

You mean that the recorded tracks are too loud compared to the direct input ? I plan to add an artificial signal boost to the input in the options. But I wish to do it this way : input -> boost -> direct monitoring / recording. So it will not only affect the direct monitoring as you seem to wish.

What I don't get is that, if you can control the volume of your input, why can't you turn it down to be equivalent through direct monitoring to the volume of the 2G ? Or even simply turn the recorded tracks a bit down ?

Cheers !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:28 pm 
Raphaël wrote:
Regarding your problem, which input do you use ? Integrated mic, iRig/AmpKit/..., dock device, ... ? And to record what type of instument ?

I use a simple 4 pin jack - 3xRCA.
I plug my guitar with Korg Pandora px5d.
I am considering iRig or AmpKit solutions but I'm not sure would that help. Pandora's output signal is strong and since now it worked perfectly with 2g with it's output volume set to 20%.
Now I have to use 10% volume to prevent weird clipping.

Raphaël wrote:
So the 4G clips at levels that was perfectly fine with the 2G ?

Input levels - yes. Output is same.
I can record a loop with quiet input - than boost it to right level.

Raphaël wrote:
Quote:

You mean that the recorded tracks are too loud compared to the direct input ? I plan to add an artificial signal boost to the input in the options. But I wish to do it this way : input -> boost -> direct monitoring / recording. So it will not only affect the direct monitoring as you seem to wish.

That's exactly what I need! Boost before monitoring AND recording! :D

Raphaël wrote:
What I don't get is that, if you can control the volume of your input, why can't you turn it down to be equivalent through direct monitoring to the volume of the 2G ? Or even simply turn the recorded tracks a bit down ?

Yea, that's right. That's how I use it on 4g. I turned recorded track volume down.
But it's not too good solution.
I got twice weaker output from ipod this way, and if I got main drums track I can't mute it while jammin cause after that I would have problem to unmute it to the same volume.
This leads me to another (not that important) feature request question.
Would be possible to implement some kind of muting gestures?
Now I can turn tracks volume down but when I play guitar it's pretty hard to mute drums just for one bar break before new riff. Would be easier if I could just press track to mute it than again to unmute.
What do you think?

Thanks for great support and fast response.
Amazeing.
Cheers !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:20 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Ah ok ! I think I understand better now.

Input at 10% is your maximum non clipped volume, but you don't get full volume inside the looper, as anyone would expect. That's strange indeed. Do you have the same behaviour with other audio apps ?

Mute gesture already exists :D ! Take a look in the documentation in the app or on the website. You can even quantize it to loop, in the exact same way as recording. Maybe not totally suited for a 1 bar guitar break however.

Cheers !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:03 pm 
Raphaël wrote:
Mute gesture already exists :D ! Take a look in the documentation in the app or on the website. You can even quantize it to loop, in the exact same way as recording. Maybe not totally suited for a 1 bar guitar break however.

:o ow sorry for bein a smartass lol
I didn't check the manual before...

It's kinda tricky to perform fast while playing guitar :P but anyway it's cool!

Any plans for update date? (with that volume boost option)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
I can't give any date for the next update. At least nothing more precise than "next year" ^^.

Happy looping :D !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 pm 
Ok, man.
I'm waiting for the boost :D

Keep up the great work and thanks for amazeing support.
Cheers.