It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 am

Post subject: Feature request: start recording on signal threshold
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:03 pm 
Thanks for your cool iPhone app. Its really nice.
But its not usable in live environment because you need the metronome in any case to fix the loop length before playing!
If I start playing a loop without it, I always get a pause at the beginning to get from the iPhone to the strings. Its impossible to get that timing right. An automated start of recording when a configured signal threshold is reached should solve that problem. What do you think?

For home use a capability to cut off the pause at the beginning would be great too.

thanks
Robert

Post subject: Re: Feature request: start recording on signal threshold
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Robert !

Thanks for your kind words :p.

You are right about the live thing. Now the audience has to hear the click track and that's not very convenient.

The workaround for this is to pre-record your first track (possibly with the metronome) and use it as a sort of metronome track for your live event. But that's not totally perfect as it's way more cool if you can play and record all your tracks live.

I've thought about how to do this right, and the start recording threshold may be part of the solution, but only half of it because it doesn't handle the stop recording part. So I have to find a way to handle this to have a complete solution.

A "signal down" threshold for stopping recording is of course inefficient, and specifying the length of the track in advance would be too imprecise timing if you can't hear the click. You could stop the recording manually, but it doesn't work in all situations. However it could be acceptable.

In my opinion, an efficient way of dealing with this would be to split the stereo output by being able to send the 4th track to Left channel and all the other tracks to the Right channel. That way you have a click track for your own use and you can route the Right channel to your amp/console. Maybe with a way of automatically redirect the 4th track to the Right channel as soon as you start recording on it.

What do you think ?

I don't plan to do the crop track feature. For now, I prefer to spend time on making the live usage better, hopefully leading to not needing the crop feature anymore :).

Raphaël

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:59 pm 
HI Raphaël

starting on signal threshold would solve most problems I think. This feature would be really cool.

So.. best option would be foot control for sure. Can you control any external buttons like the play/pause button on the headphones? I could imagine a special cable to connect a footswitch for that. Should'nt be too hard to build one. :-)
I connect my guitar with iRig, so the dock is free for a midi cable for example.

cheers Robert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
It is possible to detect when the user click the "action" button on the remote, I think Apple added this to the iOS4 SDK.

But the button works by shortcutting the mic, so it would probably add glitches to the end of the track and latency is a question too. I may try it to see if it's workable.

Midi is an option too. Not sure if I will go with it.

Raphaël

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:17 pm 
Are there any news about this? I would really like to use Every Day Looper when practicing with the band, we dont have a 2nd guitar now. :(

robig

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:49 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
I've quickly tried the button solution, but it has noticeable latency due to the way the API is designed. And if I compensate the latency, the "button release" sound is very hearable.

So that doesn't really suit our needs. Maybe in conjunction with a dock audio device would it be ok, but for now I'm not going to put it in Everyday Looper.

I've still to think about the other options, but I can't dedicate that much time to EL at the moment.

Raphaël

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 am 
raphael: "In my opinion, an efficient way of dealing with this would be to split the stereo output by being able to send the 4th track to Left channel and all the other tracks to the Right channel. That way you have a click track for your own use and you can route the Right channel to your amp/console. Maybe with a way of automatically redirect the 4th track to the Right channel as soon as you start recording on it."

first, I look forward to stereo, and the possibility of assigning tracks to right, left or center.

if I understand correctly, what you describe would certainly be useful - but we would end up back in mono as far as output to the speakers, right?

i have an ipad on the way. it loops like there will be two input/output options. currently I use iRig in/out of my iPhone - assuming I can do the same with iPad (?) I have seen another device on the way (the Apogee Jam) that will provide digital I/O through the docking port. Using the Dock as the i/O for the 4 or 6 EDL channels... might you be able to then send the click track to the headphone jack?

thanks for such a remarkable product.

michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Michael !

With this solution, it's right that the output routed to the speaker would still be mono.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow us - maybe the hardware could not do it anyway - to feed two different outputs with two different signals at the same time. So it would be impossible to send click track to headphone jack and loops to dock connector.

Quote:
... it loops like there will be ...

Nice one ^^

Cheers !

Raphaël