It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

Post subject: Alesis Pro I/O Dock Arrived!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 pm 
...and it is pretty wonderful.

I am working on a live show focused on multilayer hand percussion, frame drums, and vocals. In addition to a Yamaha DD-55 percussion device, I am using two Shure SM-57 microphones and a Garrahand (tunable metal tongue drum with internal microphone) running into a Behringer mixer, into an iPad 2 and then onwards to a Fender Passport 150 PA system.

The bass response issue that I have struggled with for so long (using an iRig) has completely vanished. I now have deep, THUMPING bass! The frames drums are suddenly incredibly rich and detailed. If for no other reason, this makes it worth the $200 US.

There were some "crackling" issues in the beginning, but I think it was due to me having both outputs from the Alesis connected to the PA - and the current software is only mono? Raphael, can you tell me anything about this?

It's pretty wonderful having a manual master volume control to raise or lower the overall mix volume all at once! The thing also has midi and usb ports, so I guess I will need to start learning about midi... ;)

I have been experimenting with rolling the volume off to about 3/4, and then using an earbud from the headphone jack at full volume to provide the starting click. You can still hear it faintly in the speakers, but it helps cut the volume there down considerably. The challenge is getting the volume of the live performance to match what plays back once the loop takes over...

My next project will be to find a battery pack to power the Alesis unit. Once I have that the entire set-up will be able to run off batteries (well, once I replace the P.A. with the Roland BA330 which is friggin amazing!)

Raphael, if you have and questions about the unit, just let me know

Looking forward to the next update - I'm ready to play in stereo!

thanks

michael

Post subject: Re: Alesis Pro I/O Dock Arrived!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Michael !

Thanks a lot for your feedback, the iO Dock is not yet available in Europe, so that's just what I was looking for :D .

For the crackling, I don't think that it's due to having your both input connected to the PA, the iO Dock isn't probably even aware of what is connected to its outputs. However if it's 100% reproducible, meaning crackles each time you connect both outputs and no crackles when you connect only one, there is something that may need to be explored.

And I have more than some questions about the unit, I have a proposal :P . Would you be OK to beta test my current working version to tell me if all is working properly ? You can drop me an email if you are in, and I will explain you the details.

Cheers !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:41 am 
Hi guys !

i'm thinking about getting an IO dock for almost the same purpose as Drumaloha.

Could one of you confirm that's it's working properly with ios 5 and the last version of Everyday Looper ?

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:23 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Soifran !

I did a short jam session with an iPad 1 on iOS 5 plugged into an iO Dock and all was working quite nicely :).

Cheers,

Raphaël

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:24 am 
Great ! Mine is on its way ! I'll keep you posted.

Question : what type of MIDI controller / foot switch are you using ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:21 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
I'm using a M-Audio SP-1 footswitch. I would recommend it, it's solid and silent when pressed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 am 
Hi all

As it appears here http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/io_dock_hiss Alesis is encountering software issues.

I've found this topic , sadly, because after being so happy to get the dock yesterday, I was forced to admit that I have a lot of stability problems, and a lot of crackle and hiss.

IPad 2, iOS 5.1, and Alesis last firmware 1.0.7.

I've been trying to use the device with two standards mics with XLR, I'll do some further tests today but
I'm pretty sure I'll have to return the dock to the seller.

Lemme know if one of us is able to run the io dock properly with EL. I've got a show pretty soon and dunno how I'll be able to play, I'm so addicted to the app now :)

Last thing, just move this post if it might be the start of another topic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:41 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Damn, sorry to read that. I hope they will fix this soon ...

Thanks a lot for sharing the info.

Raphaël

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:06 am 
hi all

unfortunately i'm running close to the term of my money back warranty, so i'll be retrurning the dock this week in order to get a refund.

i'm looking for a device to replace it, the Presonus audiobox USB seems to be able, via a powered hub, to run both MIDI and audio. I will surely miss the sustain plug from the iO dock.

btw, some guys are running a pretty nice site with a list of supported devices, even if the dock itself is mentionned there. http://iosmidi.com/devices/

there seem to be a way, downgrading the firmware, since iOS 5 seem to be the start of troubles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:40 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
The audiobox works well indeed. That was my test device while I was developing the dual-channel feature. I didn't try MIDI with it, but it should not be a problem.

Cheers !