It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Post subject: [Solved] No audio output with mini mic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:39 am 
I purchased this app and a mic from ebay for my 3rd generation itouch, however although i can see the waves indicating sound is recording, i cannot get any sound to come from my itouch, i have altered some of the settings in the options tab but still no luck, please help

Post subject: Re: Problems
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:48 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi (again ^^) rashton, thanks for posting on the forum. It's way more handy than YouTube comments.

Obviously, you have already replied to one of my questions (the version of your iPod Touch) :P .

Can you please give me the reference of your mic ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:15 am 
Hi Raphaël,

Cheers for the quick response,

The mic i got was this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0177397003,

theres reference to some software that can be downloaded, however this seems to be for vocal recording,

I've read some excellent reviews about your app so am looking forward to sorting the issue so I can start looping ideas, your so far sppedy help is much appreciated!!!

Thank you again,

Rashton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:53 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Ah ok, I see the problem.

I need to explain you a bit of how iPhone OS handle audio i/o, so you can understand the problem.

The third party apps, so all the apps on the App Store, have no control over the audio route (headphone/speaker/line-out and mic/line-in) that is used. The OS makes the choice, with the approximate rule "last plugged is used". That means that if you plug headphones on your devices, I have no way to force the OS to use the internal speaker instead.

The problem with this sort of tiny mics is that they will be considered as an headphone+microphone by iPhone OS, despite the fact that they have no jack output ! I even think that as soon as you plug something into the jack input of an iDevice, it will assume that's at least headphones, and will test if it has an optionnal mic input.

What this means in our case, considering the audio route rule I described above, is that it's impossible to output to speakers once you've plugged something in the jack input.

This sort of mic is mostly intended for recording memo for which you don't need simultaneous input and output.

So with this sort of mic, there is no solution to make input + output to work simultaneously. What you can do as a test is recording your audio with the mic plugged, then unplugging the mic and tap the screen with 2 fingers for returning in play mode. That should work, but it's totally useless for a looper.

So I'm sorry :? ...

But I can recommend you another cheap mic : http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=SHH1610/27&slg=en&scy=US . I think it's around 10$/€. That's the one I use for the YouTube video. It's highly better than this more famous and more expensive one : http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4571 .

Edit : Didn't see the price was in £, so obviously you live in the UK (we are almost on the same time zone, more handy for support ^^). You can buy one on the philips UK store here : http://shop.philips.co.uk/store/rpeeub2c/en_GB/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.165143300

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:44 pm 
Thanks Raphaël,

I have just put my order in for the phillips microphone you recommended, now alls that is left is to play the old waiting game, i just waited 2 weeks for the last one lol.

Again, thanks for your quick responses, i look very forward to using this app

Cheers again mate

Rashton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:20 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
You're welcome :D !

I'll flag the post as [Solved], but if it still doesn't work when you receive the mic, don't hesitate to come back.

But I'm quite sure that you'll have no problem with this config ;) .

Have fun !

Post subject: Re: [Solved] No audio output with mini mic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:41 pm 
Hi there Raphaël,

The mic you recommended arrived a few days ago, but I havent had chance to come back to the forum.

Unfortunately this mic also does not work, again it registers that there is sound being input, however the sound does no come out of the iyouch speaker.

However, while I was waiting for the mic to arrive, a friend suggested tryin the headphones supplied with the itouch as they have a built in mic, this worked but as i have to have one in my ear and the other infront of my guitar, the cable is far too short to get round this problem indefinately.

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

P.S. if your response is as quick as they have been previously, i look forward to hearing from you in about half an hour

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:12 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Rashton !

The sound can't come out of the speaker, even with the new mic. But with this new mic, you now have the opportunity to output the sound through it's jack connector :) !

Didn't know that the iTouch 3Gen comes with a mic on the headphone cable, good news.

To get around your cable length problem, what I suggest (and what I do personally ^^) is to plug your philips mic in the iTouch, then plug your apple headphones in the philips output jack.

This way, you use the philips mic to record in front of your guitar (I clip it on my trousers), and you have the full cable length of the apple headphone to not be annoyed.

Tell me if it works for you :D .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:11 pm 
Cheers Raphaël,

Your a legend mate, dont know how I missed that, but cheers bud,

My mum just saw me using it and was pretty annoyed cause she was going to get me a boss loop station for christmas, but i told her the price and the benefits of ur app being portable and what not, she instantly loved everyday looper.

Cheers for your help again,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:57 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Victory :mrgreen: !

A Boss Loop Station is a must have in a guitar rig anyway, I still love my RC20 XL ^^.

Have a groovy, funky christmas with tons of loops !