It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm

Post subject: Feature request: cropping the loop
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:40 pm 
Hi,

Great application, I enjoy it a lot!

There's just one thing that's missing in my opinion: an easy way to get the initial beat track properly synchronized. Right now, I start recording the first track, lay down the beats and then stop. But inevitably I'll get the timing wrong: I'll start a fraction of a second too late, or stop the recording too late, and there will be awkward silence and the track won't loop properly.

A very convenient (nay, necessary) feature would be to be able to strip a piece off of the track at the beginning and at the end of the loop; basically make the track shorter until it properly loops.

To be able to get this right and without having to implement undo, I would suggest the following: go into some sort of "crop" mode. You then get to put a "looping window" over the tracks, and the app will continuously play only the part of the tracks inside the looping window. Adjust the looping window until the loop sounds right. Then, when you confirm, the audio tracks get cropped to the parts that were inside the looping window.

Sounds good?

Compliments again on a great app!

Regards,
Rico

Post subject: Re: Feature request: cropping the loop
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:45 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi rix0rrr !

Thanks for the kudos :D .

In fact, I've chosen a quite different way for creating perfectly timed loops, and it's already here in the app ^^. You can achieve this, by using the combination of Click Track and Quantize To Loop.

Here is a thread where I explain it in more details (my first post) :

http://www.mancingdolecules.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7

Hope this helps.

Have fun :D !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:41 pm 
I know, but sometimes I just want to lay down a beat before I know exactly how long it's going to take. When I do that though, I get the excess silence. Plus, the sound of the click track playing is being recorded back into my microphone...

Just today I've noticed another thing: EyDy Looper keeps on consuming CPU power even when the iPhone is locked. I noticed that it keeps playing, but even when I stop it and lock it (basically, if I forget about it), the application keeps on running and draining my battery. It's very noticeable after a couple of hours.

Anyway, great work!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Quote:
Plus, the sound of the click track playing is being recorded back into my microphone...

For that problem, it's heavily recommended to use Everyday Looper with headphones, as there is no feedback cancellation.

Quote:
Just today I've noticed another thing: EyDy Looper keeps on consuming CPU power even when the iPhone is locked. I noticed that it keeps playing, but even when I stop it and lock it (basically, if I forget about it), the application keeps on running and draining my battery. It's very noticeable after a couple of hours.

That's true. When you don't need Everyday Looper anymore, simply quit it. All your settings and current tracks are automatically saved, so no worries :).

Thanks again :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:16 pm 
As soon as i read the title of this thread i knew i had to say something.

i have been using everyday looper for an hour now and the cropping feature is really almost a must.

thanks. just reinforcing other's thoughts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:57 pm 
Great App but I do agree with the cropping feature in the future.

Thanks for a great app
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:05 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
I think I need to explain why I'm not planning cropping for now ;) . It's because of the direction I want Everyday Looper to follow.

It's intended to be a "performance" looper in a way. That means nothing has to interrupt your performance once it has started. And cropping is not live proof. It would not be suitable to record a loop, then interrupt your playing and stop the looper, take some time to crop your loop, and then back to play. It would not fit the general philosophy of the looper.

The "workflow" I think about for doing what your trying to do with the looper is something like that :
- Just play around, without recording or even without EL launched, until you find something nice enough, and remember it ^^.
- If your two hands are not needed for playing your instrument, then you can manually launch recording and stop it for your first track, on the beat.
- If you need your two hands, then find the BPM of your gimmick using the preview of the Click Track Generator. Tap the speaker to hear a click preview and adjust the BPM wheel so it matches your desired tempo. Then count the beats number and set it with the Beats wheel. Generate.

Then you can start with a standard non-interrupted use of the looper :) !

Hope it makes things clearer regarding my current choices. Can't say that I will not change my mind in the future, but that's my present point of view ^^.

Cheers !

Raphaël