It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

Post subject: Basic instructions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 pm 
Hi there, i haven't seen any topics or FAQ's related to this so I'm probably just lacking the experience that some have with these kind of things... Is there any kind of tutorial for getting started? Maybe a step by step video or listing? That would be super helpful, i can figure it out from there, just having a hard time getting started. thanks!

Post subject: Re: Basic instructions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:26 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Wee_Dave !

There is a tutorial video incoming, and I think you will enjoy it as much as the "viral" video ^^.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:31 pm 
I'll take a moment to highlight a few things that took me a minute or two to figure out (or that folks might not know if they aren't familiar with loop pedals / terminology)

1] "Three finger tap" means tapping with three fingers at once, not a "triple-tap."

2] Output isn't terribly audible sans-headphones unless you've got considerably loud input.

3] I'm still not entirely sure if the two finger swipe needs to be two fingers stacked vertically or horizontally, but it seems like it's vertically. My hands are kind of large, so it helps if I use my ring and middle finger, or pinkie and ring, rather than pointer and middle finger, as I'd normally be apt to do.

4] "Arm Track" implies that you don't want to start recording immediately after pressing the button. It puts the track in a "standby" mode, and pressing record again will begin recording audio. This helps prevent accidental overwriting of a track, by requiring two taps rather than one.

5] The "Quantize" option will automatically stop recording the current track when the end of the first track is reached, so you don't accidentally loop around and start recording over the beginning again. Additionally, after the initial track is recorded, if you are in playback mode and click to record a second track, it won't begin recording until playback has looped around to the beginning of the first track.

This is particularly useful when recording to a "Click Track" which is a track that contains the metronome beat on it.

6] To create a Click Track, go into the options menu (slide down the screen in landscape with your finger), and click the "tools" tab. Click "Generate Click Track", choose the desired tempo, and click "Generate" in the top left. This will delete any unsaved work you might have in the main screen.

7] Let's bring it all together by using options 4-6, so that we have a click track and have both the Arm Track and Quantize to Clip options enabled, then return to the main screen.

A] Start playing the click track by tapping the screen with two fingers. The metronome will be heard.
B] Tapping a track with one finger once arms it ("Standby Mode")
C] Tapping a track (again, one finger) twice means that it will begin recording the next time the clip loops back around to the start, and will end recording when it has reached the end of the click track clip.
D] Tapping the track yet again will override this and begin recording instantly.
E] Tapping it yet again will stop recording and return to playback. Tapping one more time will return you to step B.

From this scenario, you should be able to enabled/disable various options and work your way back to how they perform individually.

Hope that helps someone!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:32 am 
Oh, almost forgot-- during live performances or when hooking up to an amp, make sure you set "Microphone pass through" to "off" so you don't get feedback!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Wow, thanks Adam !!

You explained it way better that I would have done myself !

It's great that the more savvy of you share their knowledge :D !

I'll try to add a wiki to the site for explaining in more details the use of the looper. Probably with use-case scenario as you did.

In the mean time, I'll make this post sticky as it answers LOTS of questions new users could ask themselves.

Will just add a few precisions :

Quote:
2] Output isn't terribly audible sans-headphones unless you've got considerably loud input.

By default, the selected sound output is the Receiver, which is quite quiet. But you can change it to the Speaker in the Options section of the menu.
Just check the Favor Speaker Over Reveiver option so you see the blue background. But if you do so, I highly recommend you to uncheck the Microphone PassThrough as it will cause feedback (which I love to use for experimental purposes, but it's not the case for everyone).

More generally, these configuration (without connected headphones) should not be used when recording new loops. All your previous tracks, played through Receiver/Speaker, would be re-recorded in addition to your new content as their is no feedback cancellation.

Use it solely in playback only scenarios (playing your loops to your friends for example).

Quote:
3] I'm still not entirely sure if the two finger swipe needs to be two fingers stacked vertically or horizontally, but it seems like it's vertically. My hands are kind of large, so it helps if I use my ring and middle finger, or pinkie and ring, rather than pointer and middle finger, as I'd normally be apt to do.

It does not matter how the fingers are stacked. When holding the iPhone in landscape mode, it seems far more easy to stack them horizontally however (so the middle finger to the right of the pointer for a right handed person for example). Here are the conditions that you have to fulfill in order for the gesture to work : Each of the two fingers has to be on the track to erase and never quit it (neither by pull it off the screen or by entering another track) and the two fingers group has to go through 60 % of the screen width.

Thanks again Adam :D !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 am 
this might be a stupid question but is this app compatible with the 1st or 2nd gen ipod touch?
im using it on a 2nd gen and nothing is happening when i tap it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 am 
Raphaël wrote:
Hi Wee_Dave !

There is a tutorial video incoming, and I think you will enjoy it as much as the "viral" video ^^.

I would love it if I could see that start up video myself

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:58 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi guys !

Quote:
this might be a stupid question but is this app compatible with the 1st or 2nd gen ipod touch?
im using it on a 2nd gen and nothing is happening when i tap it.

It's not compatible with the 1st gen, because it has no mic input. The 2nd gen will work fine but you have to have an external mic plugged in. An official Apple Headset (headphones + mic on the cable) should work fine.

Quote:
I would love it if I could see that start up video myself

It's coming in the week :) .