It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

Post subject: Line-in with headphone out or Bluetooth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:39 am 
Does anyone have a handle on a pre-made cord to allow for line-in recording AND headphone out at the same time?

Blue's Mikey won't do it. Belkin's Pro Mic won't either (I don't believe).

Has anyone had any luck with line-in (or Mikey or other mike/line-in system) and Bluetooth Headphones for monitoring?

Post subject: Re: Line-in with headphone out or Bluetooth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:27 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
This post is a good reference for the abilities of some audio dock connectors : http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/dock-connector-audio-io/

It seems that if you plug your headphones after the dock connector, headphone output will be selected by the OS :
Quote:
Connecting headphones, or an adapter cable, like a stereo mini-plug to RCA adapter, will cause the headphone output to be selected

Quote:
Using a dock connector input with the original (1st generation) iPod touch appears to require that something be plugged into the headphone jack, unless the dock connector device also supports audio output

But I don't have any of these yet, so I can't confirm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 pm 
The Alesis JamDock is my best guess for full I/O capability. Unfortunately this drops the 'portability' factor as it depends on A/C power. I believe Alesis has a portable product like the Jamdock which IS battery powered but much more expensive.

The search goes on...

There is some guy out there that has created his own DIY I/O cable that works with the Touch. If I find his site, I'll post it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:27 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Didn't know the JamDock, great product (but in portrait orientation) ! The portable one is the Alesis ProTrack. Some sort of Zoom H4, but with the iPhone as the "thinking head".

For the custom cable, Faber Acoustical made a great post about it too ^^ : http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/iphone-headset-input-options/.

It's for a custom cable on the jack side. It seems tricky because if the impedance of your mic is too low, the iPhone will understand this as a signal to lauch the iPod app ... Plus the bias voltage problem ...

The dock seems to be the way to go. The only reference that I was able to find was http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/21/ipod-touch-audio-in-reportedly-working/, but I clearly remember of a white home-made jack input connected to the dock that showed up maybe one or two years ago. Wasn't able to find it again on the net though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:59 pm 
The next generation of the Blue Mikey will have a line-in. According to Blue's website this new version should be available in spring 2010.

Meanwhile I will experiment with diy adapter cable for the headset input. I grabbed the parts already, and as soon as I get little quality time with my soldering iron I will try to put it together.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Great Peeko ! Keep us updated on your experiments, especially on the impedance problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
Hi !
And what about the new PRS Guitarbud ?
http://www.prscables.com/guitarbud
I think it would be great for plug a guitar (or bass or something else...) and jamming with everyday looper...
All the best.
Mickaël

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:17 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Mickaël !

For the PRS cable, it's basically the same thing that Pekko will try to do. Except that it's industrially made.

I haven't read many user reviews on this one, but you can expect that the problems raised by Faber Acoustical on their blog will be their too. However it's the simplest way to connect your guitar to your iPhone / iPod Touch (2G and above), and thus, to Everyday Looper !