It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Post subject: Great Job- One key feature missing for me..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 am 
Hi there Raphael,

Just bought your app- You did an awesome job with this. I plan on posting a positive review shortly.

I was about to purchase a Boss RC-2 but was able to save a boatload of money with you solution. I plan on purchasing the PRS cable mentioned on another topic to hook to my guitar.

There is one thing it lacks that the RC2 has and that is the quantize functionality. I have played with your auto-quantize option but it doesn't seem to match what I would need which is an easy way to get a loop without the starting silence. I am hoping to someday use this for a live setting, and obviously can't step on the iPhone to arm/disarm while playing ;) , so here's what I'd envision:

An additional option- "auto-arm with first sound over certain level x" slider. You drag the slider to set the level that triggers the first recording. Perhaps you also have a red/green light that shows whether something would be triggering the loop on this setting screen as well. By setting this option, when you first tap the track, you arm the recording. At this time, you're recording the track. When I tap the screen again it stops the loop, scans for the first sound that is louder than the x scale set and makes that the beginning of the loop. In effect, this auto-trims the silence at the beginning of the loop so that it's an already trimmed loop.

So that's my idea- let me know if there is a workaround currently and if not, if that would be a possibility for the future. One other feature that would greatly help for live is to have a gesture to stop recording and start the next track automatically.

Thanks in advance for considering these features and keep up the great work!

Post subject: Re: Great Job- One key feature missing for me..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hello dhaupert !

I'm glad that you enjoy the app, and thanks for the feedback, I love that :D .

Quote:
There is one thing it lacks that the RC2 has and that is the quantize functionality.

Do you talk about the quantize feature that rely on the metronome of the RC-2, allowing you to quantize on 4/4 or 3/4 measure boundaries ?

And yes, stepping on the iPhone is not yet considered as a proper workaround for this :mrgreen: .

Quote:
An additional option- "auto-arm with first sound over certain level x" slider

That's a possible development, not planned yet. The main reason why it's not, is that it only solves half of the quantization problem. If you can't use your hands for trigging directly the start of the loop, you'll not be able to trig the end in most cases either (guitar loop without long end release for exemple). The "threshold recording" only solve the start trigger problem, not the stop trigger. So it has not be retained yet ;) .

Quote:
let me know if there is a workaround currently and if not, if that would be a possibility for the future

The workaround is to use the Click track generator and the Quantize to loop feature at the same time. It has been discussed in this topic : http://www.mancingdolecules.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7 (my first post). The drawback, compared to the RC-2 way of doing things, is that you have to know the loop length before recording, but in most scenarios that's the case. Would it be OK for your use ? If not, what would be missing ?

Quote:
One other feature that would greatly help for live is to have a gesture to stop recording and start the next track automatically.

In fact, as recording is exclusive, if you record on track 1 (without any options enabled) and tap the track 2, track 1 will automatically stop and track 2 will start recording right ahead.
If you use Quantized recording, if track 1 is recording and you tap track 2, recording will start on track 2 as soon as track 1 reach the end of the loop.
Do you need something more than things described in one of these two scenarios ?

Thanks for you feedback again :) .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:54 pm 
Thanks for the fast response. I have played with the method you suggested (using a click) after reading the original postings (and before writing), but using a click in a live situation is not a good option since the audience will hear the click as well, unlike a drummer's click track. It kind of eliminates the live-ness of the whole thing.

I thought about what you brought up about not having a way to press the stop while strumming, but also that the method I proposed would not work for ending loops as you don't typically play on the very last tick of every loop and it could potentially change a loop from fitting with a set number of bars.

I'm thinking that any loop I'd record for the initial loop would be something that did not play the final tick so that I could touch the screen. For example, I was thinking of doing some type of pat/bump on the body of the guitar to give it a bass-drum line, which would mean beats on 1 and 3 most typically and leave me the ability to stop the loop with my hand. So I would be able to work within the confines of the setup I suggested. Perhaps others may not.

Barring the above solution, I can only think of one other way to make it OK for live use- that is to have a click that is not part of the tracks, that only plays until you record the first track. For example, when you select arm the track, you'd hear a click to your tempo settings. Then, either as soon as you hear the first trigger within the loop you stop the click track, or after the first loop is done recording, you stop the click. Either of those could be useful.

What I'll probably do is record a starting track of a hand clap on 2 and 4 at the tempo I want ahead of time. Then start it playing that loop and clapping along to get everyone clapping to that rhythm. Then I can add to that- it seems like the best option given what we have currently to work with. Come to think of it, perhaps an option to generate something other than a click track using a predefined pattern would help this out- for example, if you had an option to insert a hand clap sample on the 2 and 4 of every beat, then at any tempo we could have something usable live.

Anyway, keep up the great work with the program- I see lots of potential here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Quote:
What I'll probably do is record a starting track of a hand clap on 2 and 4 at the tempo I want ahead of time. Then start it playing that loop and clapping along to get everyone clapping to that rhythm.

I think that's definitely the best way of doing things for now.

I totally agree with you that for live, the click track is not really suitable. I still have to think about a way to properly record the first track, starting from scratch, in a live situation.

My preferred solution would be to simulate a drummer's click track by splitting the Left/Right output signal into Looper/Click. Or simply adding panning to each track, which has the advantage of being more versatile.

Anyway, thanks for your interest in the app and your incoming review :) . If you use Everyday Looper in live situation (or not) and make some videos, don't hesitate to post them here, I'm always super happy to see the app being used by someone other than me :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 am 
First off, I just want to say that I Love this app!

One thing I thought of that might be a neat solution to some of the problems people are having in regards to "not being able to step on your ipod" would be to have a setting added into the options which would allow for a kind of "delayed stop." That way you could hit stop the way you normally would with three fingers, only if you did it in the middle of the loop the program would not stop until it reached the end (kind of the same way it does in the recordings when the "quantize recording" feature activated.) That way would would likely have ample time to get ready to strum/ play piano/ whatever right as the track ends without having one hand occupied.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Paul H !

Glad that you love the app :).

I'm not sure to follow you. What would you use the "quantized stop" for ?

As I see it, it can only be used for doing perfectly timed breaks, right ? It would not be useful for recording because "quantized recording" is already doing this "quantized stop" for recording.

Am I missing something ?

Cheers :D !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:13 am 
Yeah, just a way to signal to your app that it should stop once it's to the end of the loop. Not actually a "quantized" stop, as I realize "quantize" refers to something entirely different. What I was referring to when I used that phrase is that this "delayed stop" would be comparable to how you record when the "Quantize to record" mode is on; in that you are able to tap the track, then it glows red on the edges signaling the recording is about to start - but doesn't start recording until after the loop has finished. What I propose is that idea only for a stop function. That way, you could signal the looper that it should stop at the completion of the loop. Its all I can think of in terms of a solution for how to be able to stop a loop at the moment you wish to use both your hands for something else (i.e. piano chord or guitar strum) short of taking your shoe off and trying to get 3 toes on there :)

Still having a great time with it btw.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:26 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Ok, I both understand and agree with you ^^.

I have something like this planned, not exactly that, but not far. Though I have to go further into it before anything.

Thanks for the feedback :D