It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

Post subject: dreaming of features
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:51 pm 
...oh, will my iPad ever arrive? I'm so eager to get EDL working in 6 tracks on the larger screen!

dreaming of:

1) an undo function, which would make it easy (i.e. no risk) to layer directly onto an already existing track. (this is currently handled by merge, but involves an extra step.) once the next track after this is recorded, it locks in the layer and it can't be undone again. only the most recent recording can be undone

2) tap to set tempo (there's apps like BPM that tell one the tempo being tapped) and then a gesture to start recording after 4 clicks at that tempo. one would pre-set the number of beats in the measure

3) a way to change the tempo on the fly

4) the ability to assign specific tracks to channel left, right or center (and if we messed up and stacked right on left, it would default to center)

5) the ability to record a 2 bar loop and then multiply the length (double it)

6) a gesture that triggers an auto fade-out (or in) for individual tracks, or (easier) the entire loop at the end a song

7) a way to isolate the click into a earphone, so it doesn't come out of the speakers when performing live - might this be doable on the iPad by assigning the click to the headphone jack, since I/O is through the dock?

thanks again and again for a fantastic piece of software!

michael

Post subject: Re: dreaming of features
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:54 pm 
BTW - no need to reply to 7) - i just read your response on that elsewhere (I forgot to click "notify me when a reply is posted" on that one ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Wow, lots of things ^^.

1) This may be reconsidered now there is the overdub feature. You exactly get why I thought it was not that important before.

2) Well, I could add a tap-tempo button to the metronome generator. But the pre-recording metronome is unlikely to happen, the combination of a click-track and quantized recording does this trick for now. Even if it may not be handy if your loop is like 32 beats at 80 BPM :p.

3) Time stretching is cool, I agree :D. I would like to do it, not sure when, it's a quite time-consuming task.

4) For that I think upgrading all tracks to stereo and being able to balance L and R channel would be nice. I'm working on it right now.

5) That's something that is high on my priority list.

6) That's not planned, I still rely on your fingers for doing it ^^.

Thanks for taking the time to write me your wish-list, that helps me to prioritize features over each others.

Cheers,

Raphaël

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:59 pm 
regards #6 - would it be possible to adjust the iPad version of the software so that a slower "fade-out" on each track is possible by sliding finger right to left? currently the entire fade happens in about an inch of movement - which is appropriate for the iPhone - but the iPad has LOTS more space to work with.

i am SO glad you are working on stereo. that's actually highest on my wish list!

I am hoping that #7 is addressed someday as well - that's #2 for me after stereo! I do a lot of very quiet, ambient starts and would love to be able to hide the click. Once I get the Pro-Dock I will be interested in the possibility of isolating the click somehow through the headphone jack, since (I believe) that the I/O will be through the dock connector?

My new iPad is fantastic with EDL - and I will be getting the Pro-Dock (Alesis) as soon as it's out. It apparently has a plug in for a foot swtich - my vote is to set up EDL to use a Boss EV-5 Pedal so we can change tempos!

I am also intrigued by the recent discussions about the Griffin Stomp Box. There are a few situations where it sure would be useful to be able to trigger things with a foot pedal ;)

thanks again!

michael

Post subject: dreaming of features
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:17 am 
here's an idea... using the bluetooth connection as a way to control / do things. see:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/ ... ge-turner/

maybe we can get the click into a bluetooth earphone? or (as in the article above) as a footswitch for things like tap tempo / temp change / etc

;)

michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:14 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Michael !

I've investigated a bit into the AirTurn and it turns out that, based on its technical datas, the latency would probably be too high for non-quantized actions. Which sort of limits it usefulness for our use.

Regarding the bluetooth or headphone separated click track, it's not possible on the iPhone. It can only provide audio to one output at a time. So either jack, dock or bluetooth, but not any combination of those. Hope for a 4 channels output for the next iPhone ^^.

Cheers !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:37 am 
thanks for looking into AirTurn - oh well!

i have moved over to iPad (and should be getting my Alesis I/O dock in a few days) - does it have the ability to send to more than one audio output at a time (dock = headphone, or ??)

thanks

mw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:12 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi Michael !

The iPad can only send audio to one output route at a time, so dock or speaker or headphones ... . But this output can be stereo.

The ioDock is not yet available here in France, but I can't wait :). Have fun with yours !

Raphaël

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:01 pm 
I'm new to looping and Everyday Looper. Still, there's a few things that I can see would be helpful:
1) I second the request for a count-in, so I can get my hands on my instrument to start. You can kind of fake it by creating a click track, starting it, then cueing up a quantized record, but that seems a little tedious, especially to anyone listening.
2) Similarly, a mode to trigger recording by volume, again to help us hands-free. I think the Boss loop pedals can do this, and the Fire Field Recorder app also has this as a mode. To do it right, I think you'd have to be able to go back a few ms from the first sample over the trigger level, so that you'd capture the entire attack of the note.
3) Is there a limit on length of loop? I tried recording one line of a duet, so that I could layer the other line, and it stopped after about 60 s. Maybe I did something wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 am 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hi TFox !

Glad you learn how to loop with Everyday Looper :D !

For 1) and 2), I still have to explore alternatives to click track + quantized recording. I don't really like the count-in as it has all the disadvantages of the click track, except that you don't have to wait for X bars, but only 2 or 3. But nothing is decided. That's something I need to think about.

For 3), the limit is 45 seconds. It's because the audio is stored in RAM, and RAM is limited on our mobile devices.

Cheers !

Raphaël