It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

Post subject: Record command wont work
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:09 am 
2nd Gen I pod touch.
Just purchased the app. First recording worked great. Then, after I erased it to start over, all of a sudden now the record command wont work. Every other command works, except the record. I even re-installed the app and restarted the ipod, still no record function. Please help!

Post subject: Re: Record command wont work
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:17 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Hello John !

I would need to know what OS version you have and which microphone you use ?

And when you say "First recording worked great. Then, after I erased it to start over, all of a sudden now the record command wont work.", was it all in the same session ? By "same session" I mean "without quiting and relaunching the app in-between".

Raphaël

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:03 pm 
Version 3.1.3 (7E18)
Using a direct line in cable through the headphone jack. Its actually a camcorder AV cord, but it works with my other recording apps. And it worked fine on the first session with ey dy looper. It wasnt untill i restarted the app that the record command quit working. And still wont work. It doesnt do anything when you tap to record now. Wont Even start. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:40 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
The fact that you can't record is probably because the OS, and therefore the app, don't detect any valid input.

Have you made this test : plug the cable and the source before launching any app, then launch any recording app and check if it's working, then launch Everyday Looper and see if the behavior differs. It should not as we are all slave of the OS input choice.

The phone expect a minimum load on the mic input to consider the input as valid, and depending on what you have connected the cable to, your experience may vary. For example, with the PRS GuitarBud (which is basically the same thing as your A/V splitter) some guitars are detected on a quite random basis.

More technical, and precise ^^, infos here : http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/iphone-headset-input-options/.

Have you tried with a standard headset too ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:04 am 
So in other words the direct line in is unstable at best? Yes, i tried your suggestion. Recording works well with the "Studio Mini" app., but not at all with ey dy looper. But, I really want to use your app without sacrificing sound quality, which I dont think i can do using a microphone. I want to be able to use this app in a live situation and get rid of my current, bulky setup.
No, i havent tried the headset mic. What other options do you recommend without using a mic? I read in a differnt part of the forum that my next choice, the Alesis setup, is not good for the ipod touch... Thanks for your help so far

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
Direct line can be stable, it depends on the source. But it seems quite hard, for me at least ^^, to determine which one will be without testing.

The fact that all goes well with Studio Mini and not with Everyday Looper is kind of strange however. It might be because I check at start-up (or when an other I/O device is connected) if an input is available. So if it's not detected at this point, recording will be disabled for the session. I can't really change this behavior as it fixes the "can't playback when no input is connected" issue on the iPod Touch.

I don't recommend the Alesis ProTrack for iPod Touches as you can't output sound without modifying the PT.

You have this article from faber acoustical that lists some other line-in dock interfaces : http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/dock-connector-audio-io/

And Ground Up Audio is about to release an audio interface that seems to take all these problem into account : http://groundupaudio.com/hardware/ http://groundupaudio.com/amps-cabs-new-and-noteworthy/ .

I'll probably buy it when it's out, if it's not too expensive :? , so I will be able to give some feedback about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:08 pm 
Ok. Thanks.
Ps. Would it be possible to include a "recording level adjustment" slider in your next update?

And jus fyi My setup just to try the app was a solid body gibson les paul type, electric guitar plugged straight into the ipod. But I eventually want to run a line in directly from a mixer, because i play And sing (guitar through a digitech multi effect pedal) straight through the mixer into the house setup.
Just wondering if anyonehas had different results through different setups, like say an acoustic/electric guitar or mixer...?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 pm 
Mancing Dolecules Team
The audio input doesn't have "hardware adjustable gain" so a slider that emulate that function would only lead to numerical distortion. That's why the app auto-normalizes the recorded sound, so you get track's maximum non-clipped volume by swiping all the way to the right.

You will probably have different results with different setups as it's the source that is the key ^^.